bloggin' all things brownsville

Monday, June 9, 2008

Adela Garza: Why I'm Running for TSC Trustee


Let’s put the Students First!

I’m Adela Garza, candidate for the Texas Southmost College Board of Trustees.

I am running for Place 1 Trustee to bring my years of experience as the President of the Board of Trustees of the LFCISD, my dedication and fresh perpective to our College leadership.

Let’s shift the focus back to the students! Current dropout rates are unacceptable. Our highest priority must be to ensure each and every student who enrolls will graduate, and to make this a reality our money must be directed towards the students’ needs.

As Trustee, I will work to invest in high-caliber professors, qualified assistants, local scholarship development, expanding the course schedule and improving availability, giving student real value for the tuition … the foundation of a valuable education.

Re: dual enrollment, it is a great benefit to the students of our community. It costs students 5 dollars to enroll at TSC, yet they receive full university credit at a great savings. High school students can take courses at TSC, begin collecting college credits and become practically a college sophomore before they transfer to UTB or elsewhere.

One issue I plan to address if elected is the issue of local taxation. We are being taxed twice. Paying high taxes every year, and then tuition at one of the highest tuition rates in the state, is simply not fair, particularly in one of the poorest counties in the nation. Changes will require renegotiating the partnership to modify the taxing situation.

To Patricia A: stats on dual enrollment are not easy to find as enrollment and graduation numbers for UTB/TSC are combined in the University's report to the State, due to the partnership. You can see the figures here:
http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/?q=University+of+Texas+at+Brownsville&s=all&l=3+5+13&id=229072

I believe that together we can bring positive change.

Let’s give our students the education, support, and university experience they deserve!

I am asking for your vote one more time. Please don’t forget to vote in the run-off.

Last chance to vote early! TODAY and tomorrow (Tuesday) 8:30 am to 5:30 pm

Early voting locations
Brownsville : Brownsville Public Library, Courthouse Elections Office, Christ the King Church , UTB/TSC, and the Brownsville Navigation District Office
Port Isabel/ South Padre: Benny Ochoa III Annex Bldg (Port Isabel)
Los Fresnos: The early voting location for Los Fresnos has changed. Early voters please go to Resaca Middle School.

For more information please see my website www.AdelaGarza.com and I'd love to hear your questions on my blog!

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

High school students can take courses at TSC, begin collecting college credits and become practically a college sophomore before they transfer to UTB or elsewhere.

According to the admissions office, DE students or any other TSC students do NOT transfer to UTB!

If you are a high school student and in DE, you fill out an application updating your information that you are high school graduate. A simple phone call to the admissions office will give you this information.

This is why people question your candidacy.

Monday, June 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is not true Anon. I was a dual enrollment student, I collected college credit from TSC then graduated from UTB for my BS. I had a huge advantage because I had college credit coming in as a freshman, not only from DE but from AP credit. Unlike other entering freshmen I was taking Soph level coursework my first semester. I graduated a year early. U need to get your facts straight anon before you criticise.

Adela my family and I already voted for you!

L & M

Monday, June 09, 2008  
Blogger millerarge said...

To coward anon.
Fr arge

I do not officially support ms. Garza nor Mr. Silva but with anons like you that pull people down instead of helping them get out of the bucket.

Thank you Ms. Garza for having the fortitude to run.
My admiration goes to you and any one that is willing to put themselves throu the ringer.
God Bless, Arge Miller

Monday, June 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like every politician I know. You want to give the students everything but you want to do away with the taxes that pay for it.

How are you going to pay for the "high-caliber professors, qualified assistants, ..."

If you are elected I will be watching to see how you vote on your first budget.

Good luck to both.

Monday, June 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Directly from the biography of the President Juliet V. García, Ph.D.:

"The Partnership was designed to consolidate resources, increase efficiency, eliminate transfer barriers for students and provide improved higher education opportunities for the people of the Lower Rio Grande Valley in South Texas. . .The Partnership known as UTB/TSC offers a full range of occupational-technical, continuing education, and community education programs with certificate and associate degrees traditional to the community college. In addition, UTB/TSC also offers baccalaureate and masters degrees traditional to a university. Students move through the seamless partnership without need to transfer."

So you all were saying about transfering? There is no transfer for TSC students to UTB students! That is the heart of the partnership.

Of course L&M you got a BACHELOR degree from UTB. TSC is not accredited to give out your particular degree.

Did you never fill out the form to say you were a high school graduate after you took DE courses? You probably did as that is admissions policy. I talked to them this afternoon about this very topic.

So I guess I have my facts straight. Do I have your blessing to critize with a "Z"? We are in America after all.

Monday, June 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anon had no problem saying, hey I was DE, transfered to UTB, and graduated. See how simple that was. UTB/TSC needs to ask that of every DE student, so they can gauge the program's success.

Patricia A.

Monday, June 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope everyone goes out to support Adela. She has experience over a doctor who doesnt have a hint of what students need and want from a University.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008  
Anonymous El Matteo said...

It's lucky for the good doctor his is running for a COMMUNITY COLLEGE position and not a university seat. Experience? Yeah, experience in alienating us in Los Fresnos because she brought in a loser superintendent.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008  
Anonymous senorita said...

I suspect its deliberate, looks to me like the University combines the graduation numbers from TSC to inflate their own graduation statistics. Remember a few years ago when the herald reported only 8% of UTB students were graduating? I would think the numbers from TSC would have to be higher, since its much easier to get a 1 year certificate within 6 years than a 4 year diploma in 6 years. Combine high TSC graduation % with low UTB graduation % equals better UTB numbers.

I really agree with Adela to invest more money into the students. How about UTB/TSC stop wasting all that money buying properties like the vacant Amigoland mall property! I wouldn't have a problem with being taxed if I believed the money was providing a great education. But we pay a lot in taxes which looks like its being used on land purchases and huge development projects, even though the new buildings are practically empty whenever you visit the campus. I spent two years at UTB/TSC and in that time, the student adviser put me in the wrong classes, the main office lost my transcripts and on one memorable afternoon I had to run back and forth shuffling papers between different buildings across campus because of the registration office's mistake, or else my applications would have been delayed a year. I can easily see others just giving up. So, I would hazard a guess our taxes aren't being spent on student services. If they invested in the students & professors, they might not be ashamed of their graduation numbers. Adela Garza is absolutely right, tax us less and spend the money wisely, on the students, faculty & staff, where it really counts.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home