bloggin' all things brownsville

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Hike and Bike Trail Road to Eyesore

In January, the City Commission unanimously approved a memorandum of agreement between the City of Brownsville and the Brownsville River Rockets to help patrol the bike trails and to seek assistance from private businesses in an "Adopt A Portion of the Trail" Campaign. The Campaign was to solicit private funding from business owners for landscaping and improvements to a portion of the hike and bike trail along the Linear Park.

I don't know what became of this, but the trail is in dire need of attention. I walk it almost daily, and yesterday's six-mile trek, to and from Alton Gloor and H-E-B on Paredes and 802, yielded the following observations and photos.

There are several areas where the the trail's paving is cracked, and rest areas need attention. We need to definitely close off access to the trail from side streets, because it's evident that folks still drive on the trail for some reason.

The hike and bike trail is a great asset for Brownsville residents. I use it almost daily, many do. I'm still trying to nail down the costs/funding for the trail, but I hope funding for maintenance was budgeted, too.





8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey MZ,

We readers are tired of cake. We count on you to fend off the easy shots you've taken lately. We know you could take aim and squarely put away naysayers, and losers in these parts.

I'm certain you're collecting all you're "Josie Wales" patience, and hit us with something we've never seen before...

ps... should I seek public office, can I count on your support?

MLeinart

Sunday, June 22, 2008  
Blogger Melissa Zamora said...

Yuppers. I'm done dusting off my spurs and sharpening my Arkansas toothpick. I have a couple of aces in the hole that I'll soon deal.

Now, in a previous post, you asked, "what are the stakes?"

It's all in the cards -- what you're willing (and unwilling) to bring to a table everyone's watching. Catch my drift?

Can you handle the daily criticism or reading slams against you or your family?

Are you willing to answer questions about a jail system folks have long-since considered troubled considering it pertains to your current profession?

What district do you live in?

Honestly, I think you're a solid candidate. I've followed your comments elsewhere. From what I gathered, you're smart, common sense kinda guy.

Sunday, June 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still trying to nail down the costs/funding for the trail

Good luck. Stan Raines is still waiting on the Pablo Kisel information.

Patricia A.

P.S. There's something about this blog format that generates more comments. Maybe it's the familiar feel--kinda homey, you know.

Sunday, June 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know that the damage to the trail has probably been done by restless teenagers with no respect for property or appreciation for what it takes to make repairs, and I also know that violence is not the answer--but I'd really like to hurt them physically.

What we need is surveillance cameras along the trail and one or two at every park monitored remotely.

Patricia A.

Monday, June 23, 2008  
Blogger Brownsville Barrister said...

We can blame the graffiti on teenagers, but there are also structural problems with the pavement. We should not have so many huge cracks and breaks on such a new project. Also, they did not use galvanized steel on the bridges, which are already rusting.

I love the trial. It's just a shame that our city didn't go that extra mile to build it right.

Michael

Monday, June 23, 2008  
Blogger Roman PĂ©rez said...

Michael,

It's just a shame that our city didn't go that extra mile to build it right.

I think they think they have. Yikes!

Roman

Monday, June 23, 2008  
Blogger Kurgan said...

M,

BB said- " I love the trial."

I say - A little Freudian slip, there Barrister?

You are incorrigible.

Welcome back.

Kurgan

Monday, June 23, 2008  
Blogger Michael said...

My first frudian typo.

Wednesday, June 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home