bloggin' all things brownsville

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Port of Brownsville Director Passes Board Evaluation, Contract Extended to 2010

The Brownsville Navigation District Board extended Port Director Eduardo A. Campirano's contract to 2010 at Wednesday's board meeting.

According to a prepared statement, Campirano passed his board evaluation with "flying colors," and completed his one-year probationary period as determined by the BND Board of Commissioners.

“Obviously, the role the Port Director and CEO is crucial to the leadership of our Port. It is my pleasure and honor to extend Mr. Campirano’s contract as he has genuinely represented us tremendously well during this past year," said BND Chairman Carlos R. Masso. "It also represents stability and consistency for all our customers and employees. On behalf of our Board, I welcome Mr. Campirano to our Port as our leader and we all pledge to work together to make the Port of Brownsville a great port."

Campirano said he was very fortunate and grateful to the Board and Port employees for making his first year a rewarding one.

"I look forward to the many challenges and opportunities facing the Port, and I will work diligently with all of our community partners to bring jobs to our area," Campirano said.

Campirano is former Assistant General Manager and Chief Administrative Officer of the Brownsville Public Utilities Board and former City Manager for the Town of South Padre Island.

The BND (Port of Brownsville) owns, operates and maintains the public docks, wharves, warehouses, and terminal facilities at the Brownsville Ship Channel. It also is the landlord for more than 230 private businesses that provide about 8,000 jobs in this area.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Rogelio Guevara said...

Have you noticed that the number of comments osted to this blog has dropped a lot?

The recent batch of stories are a bit HO-HUM.

You can and have done much better.

Thursday, June 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats, Mr. Campirano own your extension. I have known you for over 30 years. Keep up the great work at the Port. Always do what is best for the port at all times.

Your Friend,

Herman Otis Powers Jr., and family.

Thursday, June 19, 2008  
Blogger Melissa Zamora said...

Have you noticed that the number of comments osted to this blog has dropped a lot?

Of course. I think there's a blogging lull all around.

The recent batch of stories are a bit HO-HUM.

You can and have done much better.


I know, and I know I can do better. But, time is a factor now. I have more responsibilities at work, I'm pushing for a promotion, and the kids are on summer break. Priorities have shifted, but I know I'll get back on it soon. I thank you, though, for still sticking with me.

Someone once told me that I spoiled you guys with frequent posts. I still provide breaking news, but not what folks were previously used to. My blog has one writer -- me. I have more than a full-time job, I'm a mom of two small children and I'm a wife. Hurricane season started June 1, and I'm also on the emergency management team for South Padre Island.

Summertime's also my busiest time of year with my Isla job. For example, my day started on SPI at 7 a.m. with a sea turtle release and ended on SPI at 9 p.m. with our community emergency preparedness meeting.

I don't mean to make excuses, but I felt I needed to put things into perspective for folks. Basically, my free time to blog is rather pinched, but I'm still keeping abreast of current events and local politics.

Thursday, June 19, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MZ,

I understand your time constraints and would like you to know that I, for one, fully appreciate the time you do provide to post stories.

Regarding the Port, Congrats to Campirano. He is a true professional.

- Fulano de Tal

Friday, June 20, 2008  
Blogger Kurgan said...

M,

Do you have the link for Mr. Guevara' blog?

I would love to see what he is offering as an alternative.

Kurgan

Friday, June 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. Campirano must be doing something right. Each day as I drive through the Port, I see an average of four to five ships in port (not including the salvage ships). I also usually see two to three ships waiting off the coast to enter the port each day. I remember years back when there were no ships coming into our port. Keep up the good work.
Challengertx

Saturday, June 21, 2008  
Anonymous Rogelio Guevara said...

Don't go all "White Knight" Kurgan.

I made an observation that I believe to be true.

MZ responded and does not seem to be offended. YA

So MYOB

Sunday, June 22, 2008  
Blogger Kurgan said...

Rogelio,

I am not defending anyone, I am just being sarcastic. The comment about your posting is one I have made several times over.

Creating a blog takes all of 3 minutes.

I am befuddled by expectations placed on bloggers, Melissa or the other 100 million bloggers out there. Why is it that there seems to be some standard code that has to be met.

When I see these postings, I sincerely would like to see more people put together their own blogs.

No evil intent.

K

Sunday, June 22, 2008  
Blogger Melissa Zamora said...

Everyone wants us to move on, but I just hope Campirano keeps fighting for that $1 million recovered. Shoot, it's not $21 million, but it's something.

Sunday, June 22, 2008  
Blogger The Merovingian said...

It would take nothing more that a written claim on that money filed with any State district court.

Under the circumstances of it's forfeiture, the judge would immediately order that the DA's office turn the money over back to the original owners, with nothing taken "off the top" for his troubles.

If legal fee's for filing the claim were in excess of $300, I would be surprised. I can think of at least a dozen attorneys in town that would write it up for FREE.

M.

Monday, June 23, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home