bloggin' all things brownsville

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child?


This is a photo of my son, Sammy, who didn't want to eat his food at a local eatery, but surely wanted to eat the "green jiggly" (jello). He threw a tantrum when I told him he had to first eat his dinner. I took him to the restroom, gave his a stern scolding, and the end result was this photo of him giving his noodles the stare down.

A family filed suit today against Cameron County Justice of the Peace Gustavo Garza for ordering them to paddle their teenage daughter in court or be issued a hefty fine for her truancy.

To spank, or not to spank? A touchy subject, indeed.

I remember my principal giving me a paddling in the first grade. The offense: throwing wet paper balls at the ceiling of the girls bathroom (I found it cool that they got stuck up there). The paddle even had holes for swifter strikes, but at least I got to sign it. Was the punishment effective? Not really.

In third grade, I got in trouble for kicking a boy in the you-know-where after he stole all the pencils from my desk. My teacher drew a circle on the chalkboard and made me stick my nose within the circle. The problem was that the circle was placed too low on the chalkboard, so I suddenly became comic relief for the class with my hiney sticking in the air.

In fourth grade, I was repeatedly hit on the hand with a ruler by Mrs. George for talking way too much in class.

And, my parents didn't quite spare the belt, either.

I've also swatted my kiddos on the behind a few times, but when they started laughing at my weak attempts at discipline, and when my son started chasing me around laughing while trying to swat me back, I knew my spanking them didn't work. I've since found another very effective form of discipline.

Ultimately, I believe it's up to the parents to decide whether to give spankings to their child. A judge has no place ordering parents to do such and in public no less.

I will admit, though, that child probably needed a good spanking if she's in court for truancy. The parents also share the blame for allowing the problem to escalate to the point of a court visit.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A stiry that shouldn't be forgotten.

A Road with No Name-For Now
http://countypulse.freedomblogging.com/2008/06/02/a-road-with-no-name-for-now/

"It’s a road only known as 230 Road, but that could change soon.

The 230 Road in Cameron County could soon be renamed Sgt. Hector R. Perez Road. Although it’s a little street with one resident living on it, its meaning is huge for the Perez family.

Sgt. Perez was killed in 2003 in Iraq and for the past three years his wife, Elisa E. Perez has been pushing to get a street named after him, and I use the word “pushing” lightly.

The county has finally answered her battle call. Too bad we can’t say the same for some city officials who brushed her off, hoping she would go away.

Renaming streets is nothing new in the county. At a recent county meeting about two county roads were renamed after individuals.

Elisa Perez fought for something she believed in, just like her husband Sgt. Perez did.

In Elisa Perez’s words “finally,” a street name for a soldier - she hopes."

The city dropped the ball on this issue in a big way. All it would have taken is for the city name the portion of Central Blvd from FM 802 to the intersection of Wild Rose Lane, “Veteran’s Memorial Avenue”.

Juan O'Leary

Thursday, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know some city commissioners who deserve a good spanking but knowing some of them, they would enjoy it.

Thursday, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The offense: throwing wet paper balls at the ceiling of the girls bathroom (I found it cool that they got stuck up there)

Ah, a budding interest in science stunted--shame on the principal.

I got in trouble for kicking a boy in the you-know-where after he stole all the pencils from my desk.

Ah, a budding interest in law enforcement stunted--shame on the teacher.

I was repeatedly hit on the hand with a ruler by Mrs. George for talking way too much in class.

Ah, a budding interest in---well, some things just can't be beaten out of a person. :-)

Patricia A.

P.S. I really like your current Twitter entry. You could be referring to any of us, your loyal readers.

Thursday, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the picture! I am happy to see my son is not the only kid who stares down his food in a fit!

100 words or less

Thursday, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OFFICIALS WHO DID NOT SUPPORT THE IDEA:

JUDGE HINOJOSA
JOHN WOOD
EDDIE TREVINO
CHARLIE CABLER

Thursday, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous Stan said...

Ms. Zamora,
I'm guessing I should be glad you never showed up in my classroom with that apparent incorrigibility. Tsk-tsk.

I gave up on the value of corporal punishment in my first year of teaching. I told a parent that he must do something about his incorrigible seventh-grade daughter and she came in the next day with bruises. Her eighth grade brother was the first student I had spanked in the office, too. He came up one day early on and said, "Sir, do you know what mula means? 'Cause that's what we're going to call you from now on." Then he started dancing around and pointing at me and shouting, "Mula! Mula!" over and over. Lupé Garza administered the stroke, I believe.

But seriously, while I came to know many students who were very frustrating to work with, I also came to recognize that ninety-nine percent of the time it is the overly-busy parent, and very often the one who had children way too early, who was the problem, trying to pal up with their child rather than know and educate them or who used the TV as a parent surrogate or who just flat ignored the fact that he or she had kids at all. The damn school's s'posed to raise 'em, ain't they?

They're the ones who might benefit most by a few whacks in the Justice of the Peace's office.

Thursday, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous thezipper said...

Things have gotten out of hand in the last 15 years. One of the reasons is because spanking is no longer allowed in schools and parents do not discipline children at home. On a daily basis I am surrounded by brats who need a good spanking. Not all children need to be spanked, but there are a lot of children out there that would be very different if they were raised by parents who believed in boundaries and discipline. Time outs are complete Bull SH#&!!!! They simply don't work in the long run. Fear of authority and consequences is not such a bad thing. It keeps most of us out of prison. I don't agree with what that JP did but I understand why he did it.

Thursday, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous Rio Grande V said...

Mrs. Zamora,

I am with the Zipper. But then again, Cheech is a good one. He is special.

And there needs to be moderation in the use of this form of punishment. It can't be used all of the time like back when I used to walk through snow to get to school with no shoes . . .

V

Thursday, June 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It starts when you begin to overlook bad manners. Anytime you quit hearing "sir" and "ma'am", the end is pretty much in sight. ----Sheriff Ed Tom Bell in "No Country for Old Men".

Friday, June 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home