bloggin' all things brownsville

Friday, August 15, 2008

City Commission to Discuss Parameters for Charter Review Committee


To my surprise as a member of the Charter Review Committee, the following item is on Tuesday's City Commission meeting:

Consideration and ACTION to set parameters for the Charter Review Committee. (Ben Medina, Jr. – Planning)

I had left a message for Ben Medina several days ago about my suggested agenda items, but Medina had not returned my phone call.

This time, I called his cell phone.

I expressed my discontent over the surprise of the agenda item and for his not returning my phone call.

Medina explained that it was the decision of the City Secretary, City Attorney and Commissioners to place the item on the agenda so to provide our committee with "some direction" and to let us know what "their expectations" are. In addition, he said he felt they wished to set a timetable and possibly ask us to focus on certain aspects of the charter.

Certainly, the City Commission, and any Brownsville resident for that matter, can provide us with suggestions, but I had been assured by City Attorney Jim Goza that the committee could review any aspect of the charter. And, the courteous thing to do would have been to notify the committee that this agenda item was upcoming and likely the reason for our delay in meeting.

I also requested the minutes of the first, although illegal meeting, of which I was told only notes were taken.

"Goza said there was no need to take minutes," Medina said further stating that we're only an advisory committee, and that agendas didn't need to be posted either.

I told him that was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

I don't know how things work here, but all our committee meetings for the Town of South Padre Island HAVE to be posted, REQUIRE public comment and REQUIRE minutes as per law. I shared that with Medina. Are the laws different for Brownsville? Is there something I'm missing?

However, our conversation ended with that if the committee chose to, we could decide to have minutes taken.

I also inquired about my agenda items concerning the selection of a chairman and vice-chairman.

His response: "Estela (City Secretary) said we didn't have a chairman on the last committee."

My goodness. I like to give folks the benefit of the doubt, but I will be at Tuesday's meeting to express my concerns.

Still, if I've mounted a City of Brownsville rollercoaster, I'm ready for the ride. But they should know now, I'm a screamer.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brownsville AKA Vanity Fair

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You
go Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Anonymous Rogelio Guevera said...

It's not a rollercoaster MZ.
It's a steamroller and they are not going to give you the keys to drive. That's why they have Sosi there.
They'll tell you to be quiet, enjoy the ride, or get off and walk home.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A rollercoaster runs on a pre-defined track and comes to a halt at a pre-determined point and time.
Regardless of all the twist, turns, loops and yes screamers, the final outcome is always the same, just as it was designed to do.
again and again.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Melissa Zamora said...

Steamroller? Can I drive?

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BISD by law must post all committee mtgs not sure about minutes but would think that the City should also

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even if the law is not clear about posting an agenda and taking minutes of the meeting, it still should be done for transparency and to keep the public informed.

It sure seems to me like there are some hidden agendas here.

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I told you so. Unfortunately, it looks like my prediction is starting to look true. I was hoping that it would not, but , me being on a important board for four years, gave me opportunity to sit front row and see, notice, and discover all the shenanigans occuring and sadly they are usually led by some attorney with gift of gab. Those unethical attorney are the ones that give the attorneys in general a bad name. This is sad. I tried my part to stop activity like this, but the powers used the gift of gab and took me to courthouse to pay hefty amount with spinning truths and scaring the hell out of my large entourage of attorneys. You bloggers should be pissed at attack of commenters on a blog that I took the hit for. You may not like me, but you are a blogger just like me. This self appointed leader of this charter review committee who is also city's favorite attorney should be dealt with at arms length and one should carefully listen to his talks and understand that he is eloquent in dictating laws, rules, etc...., but one should not necessarily believe the court room style litigation speeches , because we are all free citizens and have a right to question situations as Melissa is doing these days. Attorneys are not always correct, even though there gab is convinsing of lawful steps, but that is the talent that silences clients of attorney's and will silence the majority of that charter review committee members. But I foresee a MELISSA'S VOICE on behalf of the citizens of the past, present and future of Brownsville. However, there seems to be a new element of influence on Melissa's beliefs that concerns me these days. My Captain's hat off to you Madam Melissa!!!!!!!

Robert "Captain Bob" Sanchez

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger Melissa Zamora said...

Capt,

Thank you for your comment. It's not easy speaking up especially if you're a woman. Im constantly faced with ANON attackers who attempt to intimidate me by saying nasty things about my appearance and/or personal life. I've received many an e-mail about the private lives of certain individuals, but I refuse to write about such things on this blog. If deny comments that are grossly disrespectful or libelous, I'm labeled biased. If I choose to not write about certain topics, I'm labeled unethical. If I'm seen in public with any male, I'm labeled something far worse. Either way, I can't win. I'll stay in the fight, though. I'm not perfect, and I've learned some hard lessons from being too trusting.

Another blogger told me recently: Trust no one, but your closest friends and family. For that reason, I shall not be influenced, and I'll continue to be a singular, yet outspoken, voice.

Melissa

Friday, August 15, 2008  
Blogger The Merovingian said...

I am with you Melissa. The Carter is not the property of the City Commission nor City employees; it is the property of the people of the City of Brownsville.

I have spoken to many. There is no external issue driving revision of the charter. There is no overwhelming change in the nature of the universe involved.

There are nothing but personal agendas driving this.

Maybe some charter revision making it more difficult for those with personal agendas to get proposed changes into the charter is now in order? Revising a charter is only done when you can't do something any other way.

"Of course I know. It is my business to know." -The Merovingian

Saturday, August 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Melissa for watching out for us. (I read the article “parameters” in The Herald.) Thank you for calling them up on trying to push through propositions that voters overwhelmingly rejected. Keep up the good work!

Saturday, August 16, 2008  
Blogger gabriher said...

HEY thats my friends photo. His name is Chris Detrick at the Salt Lake Tribune.

Thursday, August 21, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home