bloggin' all things brownsville

Thursday, January 19, 2012

I Took Advantage of My Elected Position




I had the opportunity to visit the new library at Harmony Science Academy today! The school didn't have a library, and its administrators expressed to me their frustration with collecting books a couple months ago when I was a guest speaker. With just one phone call to HEB, they shipped more than 5,000 books collected from customers and employees! These are the moments I so much enjoy! Did I take advantage of my elected position to solicit the books? Heck yeah! It's for the children!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So can HEB's plastic bag fee collections offset the donation expense, huh?

Thursday, January 19, 2012  
Blogger Melissa Zamora said...

The fee collection goes to the City. Don't quite understand your question.

The books were donated by statewide HEB customers and employees in a book drive the stores had.

Thursday, January 19, 2012  
Blogger BobbyWC said...

For me HEB has become a good corporate neighbor - with rare exception I buy my food at HEB. The HEB on Boca Chica and 77 has a small children's book section where parents and children can sit and read. I have bought several books for a 2 years old we are trying to teach to reach - yea cannot read but loves to be read to.

We need to reward good corporate neighbors

Thursday, January 19, 2012  
Blogger Odie said...

Wonderful to see action like this for such a great pastime. Books are the foundation of a society. Thank you for seeing a need and taking action.

Thursday, January 19, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commas!

Thursday, January 19, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home