bloggin' all things brownsville

Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Vote on the City Commission


Since the last City Commission meeting when the voting majority on key issues consisted of myself, Commissioners Rick Longoria, Tetreau and Villarreal, I've had some heated discussions on the so-called "split vote" on the Commission.

I do not, nor will I ever, vote for the sake of having the majority vote on the Commission. I have on many instances been the sole vote or voice against an issue on the City Commission, i.e., Fly Frontera, the Sports Park, zoning variances and contracts, etc., because I've felt strongly on those issues. I have also walked into a meeting believing I was going to vote one way, but after hearing everyone's concerns, I take a very different approach. That is my right as one of seven votes on the City Commission.

I will not adopt this "us-against-them" mentality that has for so long plagued our City and its various elected bodies. We must move away from this to move our City forward.

4 Comments:

Blogger BobbyWC said...

Well asid - about time someone say it

Sunday, February 19, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please look out for us, because many times it is...us against them.

Monday, February 20, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very nice but you won't be given a choice in the matter. You are either with them or against them.

No good deed goes unpunished.

The districts were created to make sure the whole city could participate. "They" are trying to do away with that in favor of a "Only I know who is qualified" approach.

It will never be an "us against them" on this commission. If you don't do as "they" say it will be a "THEM against you" mentality.

There are good folks on that commission. Make sure all of you are heard on every issue. There are very qualified people in every district in this city. Make sure they're given a chance to serve.

Thursday, February 23, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to save a bucket of money? Combine BCIC and GBIC. There is nothing a 4a board can do that a 4b cannot. If you do, NO F-ng elected officials on the board! Also 2 year appointments, two term max. No high dollar director, either. There are a ton of people that would line up for $50,000 to $60,000 to do that. Keep it fresh and lively.

Saturday, February 25, 2012  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home